28 October 2011

Filling Your Home with Christmas Without Breaking the Bank


This is me and my family Christmas 1948... jk!
 Hopefully I will be able to take some fun pictures and replace some of these as the holiday gets closer:)
For now enjoy the stock photos... or send one in! I'd totally use it!

Some of the best memories I have as a kid during Christmas was getting out all the decorations and putting up the tree. I loved doing this as a family and my kids are just the same! What kid doesn't like taking out shiny round balls, yards and yards of tinsel, miles of lights and putting the star on the top of the tree? Of couse there was always Christmas music playing and yummy treats in the oven too:) What memories could be sweeter?

So keep the traditions alive! Only, if you don't have all the stuff that your parents had while you were growing up, don't just go out and buy it. Get a little more creative or simple and have some fun with it! This would be a great time to start some new traditions for your family. You're kids will cherish anything you do with them at Christmas, because they are doing it with YOU!

So even if you have the budget to go out and buy all the fancy decor don't go too crazy;) Simplify how you decorate and focus more on how you might fill your home with great Christmas memories.

Here are some suggestions:


#1 Go through what you have already.

You may want new things, but try to think of ways to use what you already have. You might even be able to spruce up what you have on hand by making it into something new. Kids love crafts so you could even involve them if you want.

Here is a link to some fun ideas for those few Christmas Ornaments that haven't broken yet;) I originally saw it on Pinterest (a lot of great ideas on there... but don't get too wrapped up in the materialism;)










#2 Ask your parents.
If they have accumulated a lot over the years, they might have some fun stuff for you.






#3 Light Candles.
Kids love this and maybe you can make a tradition of lighting them each night as you think about the meaning of Christmas. No one puts them on the tree anymore... ha ha... but you can put them around the house and it would be beautiful! Use scented candles or wickless candles to add a the scent of sugar cookies to your home all day long:)




#4 Music
Play Christmas Music and Hymns about the Savior. I can't think of anything I love more than the music. It just instantly makes me happy. And it doesn't cost anything... Spotify! Or the radio! Who has one at home anymore though! Better yet, who grew up with the scratchy records playing?? Loved it!!










#5 Movies
Watch some movies together! Although when it comes to Christmas movies you will have a lot to choose from but none really about Christ. I mean, we all grew up with "A Christmas Story," "Gremlins," and "Christmas Vacation." But I think just making time to sit and watch a movie is a great idea. Just pick a movie, doesn't necessarily have to be about Christmas either, and watch it together. You may be surprised that it becomes a Christmas family favorite for you. This year I have to watch "Miracle on 34th Street." I can't believe I haven't seen it yet!

What are your favorite Christmas Movies?





#6 Christmas lights indoors
Don't just use lights on the tree, hang them in hallways, around windows and in bedrooms (make sure your kids aren't going to pull them down though.) It was one of my favorite things to do as a kid to get up in the middle of the night and sit by myself in the dark with the lights on. I especially loved walking under the ones hung in the hallway.





#7 Use the kids' art projects from school
Frame them and put them around the house, not just on the fridge!










#8 Snowflakes
These are cheap and super fun! Put them in windows, hang them with strings around the house. Even use them for Christmas ornaments on the tree!






#9 Cooking meals and treats together
This one is huge. It is also tough to do with little ones. Just be patient and have fun. They will love spending time and getting a little messy with you. If you are making enough to share with another family, they will love helping you deliver it also. Spending time in the kitchen with your kids, laughing, playing and talking (and cleaning up;)1 is priceless.



#10 Get a Smaller Christmas Tree
I always feel like when we go to the Christmas Tree lot I want to get the biggest fullest tree for my money. But having been poor for so many years, we have always had to get the smallest one. Seriously like 12-36 inches tall. And you know what, we have fallen in love with our little trees. A smaller tree also means that no one's appetite for gifts can get too big since where would they all fit? Jk. Kids have pretty big imaginations!!! :)
For some other GREAT ideas check out Wendy C's post on Christmas Trees!

And last but not least on this list!

#11 Nativity Sets
If you already have one to display make it the center of your decorations! If you don't have one, make one together.
Here is a cute blog post on nativities that kids can make.


This year I tried talking The Mr. into forgoing the tree and just hanging a big star in the corner. He still wants a little tree like we've always done. But high above it will be a star. I am thinking about making one for each of the kids' rooms too. That way when they go to sleep they can hopefully think of that beautiful and sacred silent night:)

I would love to hear the ideas you have!!! Leave a comment or Message me!

2 comments:

  1. Love . Thrift stores are great places to find reused Christmas decor. Love the pic of he bed. We do the snow flakes and put them all over the windows ... The kids love love love it and spend hours cutting. Just make sure you have your broom handy. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I want to do lights like that in our room! It would be awesome! And you are welcome! Chime in with any ideas you have for the revolution!! Viva Thrift Stores!!!

    ReplyDelete