If you haven't bought much yet or just want to keep it really simple, here are a few simple suggestions. I am sure that you have thought of some of these, but they are good reminders:)
Mail Cards
You know, with a stamp:) It is so easy to email a card these days. And maybe you still will, especially if you have a large family or they live far away. But speaking personally, I LOVE getting cards in the mail. It makes me so happy.
If you have the time, write a note of affection too. It is great to hear what has been going on in your family and personal life, but the cards that have always meant the most to me are the ones that people write a special memory in or a sweet compliment.
Make Homemade Cards
The cards don't need to be fancy. Just get some card stock on sale and decorate it. Stamps and stickers are easy for kids. Make them as a family and have the kids each sign their names or trace their hands. Get creative and have fun!
The cards don't need to be fancy. Just get some card stock on sale and decorate it. Stamps and stickers are easy for kids. Make them as a family and have the kids each sign their names or trace their hands. Get creative and have fun!
Handwritten Letters
You don't have to make or send a card to send a letter. A long or short thoughtful letter is a priceless gem. My dad really appreciated this one year. It was nice writing down a few memories that I cherished with him from my youth.
You can even type and print these. Maybe do some fancy font or something. Even pretty enough to frame if you want:)
Homemade Gifts
Making something is always fun. These gifts are best when you start early. If you wait until the 15th of December you will probably run out of time and end up having to buy something. I especially love this idea of making something for your siblings. It is a great way to pick up a new skill. Check out Pinterest or etsy for ideas. There are so many creative ideas out there!!
One of my favorite presents growing up was a yellow dress my mom made. It was hanging in the hallway when I woke up on Christmas morning. It was such a happy moment! Especially because I knew she made it just for me!!
Practical Gifts
I know I hated getting socks as a kid. I would rather have gotten a Barbie and yet I had like a million! But sometimes, if you can get really creative, you can think of things to get that are fun, cheap and practical.
One year a friend gave me food for Christmas. I have a lot of food allergies and she bought me all the good stuff that I could actually eat. What it said to me was that she really cared about me. She took the time to know what I could and couldn't eat. That meant a lot!
In the bag of treats was rice pasta, nuts, olive oil, balsamic oil, italian spices and nutmeg:)
I think giving someone a spice is such a great idea. Every time I pull out the nutmeg I think of her and her thoughtfulness! So choose a spice that you know they would love and they will love you all year long!! And think... you could make it special and pick a spice for each person that reminds you of them or something! It could be really sweet!
As a side note... I now know why we got socks at Christmas! Because kids lose socks all the time and they aren't cheap!! We probably needed them:)
What are some cheap and simple gifts that you are making or giving this Christmas?




No comments:
Post a Comment