We all know the real reason for the season, but with all the commercialism that was introduced with Santa and his Coke ads it is really hard to focus on it with all our hearts sometimes. Sure, we might make the effort to read the story of the birth of Christ before we open presents, but I have seen that done, almost as an obligatory moment, in a rush to get to the real reason we all got up so early on Christmas Day.
Sometimes I just want to forgo the opening of gifts on Christmas Morning so there is nothing left to do but to think on the sacred birth of the Savior and the true gift that God gave to mankind. Maybe I feel this way because of the experiences I have had personally on such Christmases when there really was nothing for me under the tree. But this I know for certain, He gave us His Son, who gave His life so that we could all be free from sin and have eternal life. There are no greater gifts than these.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
We all know that the wise men brought fancy gifts from afar and we too might want to share gifts like these with each other; yet we might overlook that Christ, the king of kings, was born in a simple stable, and to the world's standards was probably quite remise. I am sure that the wise men didn't bring gifts because they knew of his poor state but because this was they way they would worship him. We too can give gifts at Christmas, although, I am sure that He would rather us give our finest gifts, or the money we would use on them to those who are in greater need than ourselves.
To me, the way we have learned to celebrate Christmas with Santa, all the shopping and giving of extravagant gifts is like trying to read the scriptures with the TV on. It is just so distracting. We are telling our kids and ourselves that Christmas is about Christ's birth but spend much of our time and energy in shopping for long wish lists for those who already have so much. By letting Christmas be about the gifts, Santa letters and all the shopping we do, we are broadcasting the wrong message.
I'm not saying we shouldn't give gifts, but I do think the balance is off. It feels like we are trying to serve two masters... Somehow we have to let go of the commercial part of Christmas and find ways to worship our Savior for the gift to world that He was that first Christmas morning and still is today.
Here are some things that have come to mind about how to have a less commercial Christmas:
Actually turn off the TV more and open your scriptures instead
Spend more time studying the scriptures than you do shopping
Limit your list of things to buy
Do more in your home with your family
Pray about what to get each family member
Find ways to make Christ the center of your Christmas celebrations and get togethers
Now, don't beat yourself up if you still feel like you have one foot in the commercial part of Christmas, baby steps. Especially with little kids, it can be hard to find the time to sit and study scriptures like you'd like to or get around to the activities you have planned. Although, starting when the kids are young will make a huge impact on their lives and how they celebrate Christmas for years to come. So just commit to do a few things different this year and more next year!
What message are we broadcasting to our children and ourselves? What can we change about the kinds of gifts we are giving each other and expecting for ourselves at Christmas?
Let me know your thoughts.


Ya know Wendy I'm happy with how things are going so far for us this season. We do not have a lot of gifts, in fact only one family gift from us to the kids. And we got one present for the girls from santa. We are forgoing the extended family gift exchange and working on 3 service projects and so far I'm not missing the gifts and really enjoying the teaching opportunities its bringing up for my kids. I'm also happy with little surprises that have come our way in terms of people mixing Santa and the true meaning, by including the story of Jesus. We drove by an amazing house light show here in lehi and I was surprised when after a few songs a Santa and Rudolph stopped to tell the story, with biblical terms, of Baby Jesus. It went on to play silent night and light up a nativity. I found myself crying in front of this strangers home and feeling grateful for his free gift of joy and the spirit! I do think there is a way to respectfully keep Christmas about Christ and still enjoy the magic of santa with the kids- thanks for being a great example and helping me become a better person and mother! Melissa Higley
ReplyDeleteYeah, that sounds a lot like our Christmas this year. Just one gift for the kids and a few things for their stockings... and Rod's new TV;) He's been saving up for a while;)
ReplyDeleteHey you have to tell me where the light show is. I WANT TO GO!!
Also, it is true that Santa is a magical part of the season, it has just become so and that's okay, I guess. It just makes our job that much harder to make sure the kids get out of Christmas what the Lord wants them to. But we do what we can. I think the greatest way to help the kids understand Christmas is making the effort to do the service projects. Nothing else will affect them as much as this:)
And I am so glad you commented because it reminded me of a story that I try to read with the kids each Christmas Eve where Santa tells of the symbols of Christmas. It is really sweetly told and I love it! Here are two different renditions of it. One is hard to read, so I just copy and paste it to read it better and print it out.
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/Xmas/meaning.htm
http://www.luvscreations.com/holiday1.htm
I just wrote up a post on it... Thanks for the reminder!