Over the years, especially when funds were tight, we started to think a lot more about how were celebrating Christmas. We trimmed down our spending and started to only get 1 or 2 things for each kid, and forgoing gift exchanges between the Mr. and me. Still each year, when it comes to Christmas, and especially now with 4 kids, my head starts to spin when I think of shopping and what to get them. I do try to make gifts but with a toddler and a baby around and the older kids not in school, it is tough to find the time and energy to do so (although I am almost done with Pixie's... I've been working on it for 2 months now;)
Well, this year it finally dawned on me that if I didn't know what to get I could just pray about it and the Lord would help me choose the right gift for each of them. And you know what? He did! And so, we got them each one thing that was carefully picked out for each of them and a few small things for their stockings that they need (although those were impulse buys... luckily you can't fit much in a stocking!)
I know everyone has their way of picking out gifts for the kids that really help them. I have heard some clever little rhymes that people use and I think it really helps. Guidelines and budgets are good. They keep us from splurging, impulse buying and help us get truly thoughtful gifts, that hopefully won't detract from the true meaning of Christmas. A hard balance to keep, in my opinion... But getting thoughtful gifts can help with that.
Here are some of the responses I got when I asked around on Facebook:
This one I've heard a lot. It is pretty clever, although it still stresses me out... I think I just don't like to conforme to anything;)
* Something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read... Plus 'Santa's' gift!I think it is so valiant to try and make something every year, but this mother makes it a point to do so, and even have her kids make something. I am still trying to find the time to help the kids make things for each other. It is a goal of mine.
* My kids get one $20ish gift from Santa, one store bought gift from us, and something handmade from us. They also get something homemade from their sisters. Oh, and stockings full of underwear, socks, candy, chap-stick, and one book handpicked by their Daddy.
I feel like they really understand and appreciate the homemade things they get because they have spent a lot of time and energy making something for their sisters. These are usually the things that they are most excited to give (me too).
* Next year I am starting with a new tradition. He will be getting 3 gifts. Just like Baby Jesus. They will fall into catorgories of "something you need" "something you want" and "something you will cherish" (or something like that.)
* So far they get one thing they asked for, but they haven't asked for anything big yet. Then I give a few small things they need.
*Another friend of mine said she is doing three gifts like Baby Jesus. One they need, one they want and one to share.
I've heard on occasion that people also try to get gifts that reflect the gifts given to Jesus at his birth. I had to do some searching online, but I did find a good example on Habits for a Healthy Home.
* Every Christmas our five children receive three gifts: one “gold” gift, the big item they are longing for; one “myrrh” gift, which is for their body, such as clothing; and one “frankincense” gift, for their spiritual growth.
I think if they actually got this for Christmas they would think they had gotten coal;)
Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts with me!
Love you all!
Merry Christmas!


No comments:
Post a Comment